Southwest Baptist Church, located at the intersection of Watson Road, Tamm Avenue, and Scanlan Avenue, was organized July 6, 1921, with 27 members.
In its infancy it was a Sunday School conducted in Clifton Heights, meeting first in the Masonic Hall and later in the home of Mrs. Mary Evans. Two other Sunday Schools began meeting, one in the Lindenwood area and one in the Gratiot area in private homes. In order to bring all three together, a lot was purchased for $500 at the northwest corner of Scanlan and Tamm Avenues and a humble frame building was erected at a cost of $3,200.
The church was received into the St. Louis Baptist Association October 13, 1921 and the first services were held November 21st. In her first five years, the church grew to such an extent that construction began and was completed on a new brick sanctuary seating 400 people.
On January 23, 1944, Rev. J. Edwin Hewlett began a 33-year ministry at Southwest. Pastor Hewlett lead the church through three building programs. Unfortunately, a fire on February 1, 1957, destroyed the original brick sanctuary. The congregation worshiped in the nearby Ivanhoe Theatre for six months while making the ground floor of the damaged sanctuary useable.
It was 1968 before construction began on a new sanctuary, which was dedicated on November 30, 1969. About five years later Memorial Hall (Chapel) was completed.
The church facilities include a Fellowship Hall with kitchen and dining for approximately 400, and a mini-gym. When Rev. Hewlett retired August 1978, the church called Rev. Rudy A. Pulido of Jefferson City, Missouri, on July 1, 1979.
For more than 60 years, Southwest Baptist Church has had only two senior pastors.
Southwest Baptist is a neighborhood church and an important part of the Lindenwood community. The church has ongoing ministries to all age groups, including children and youth, as well as a Child Development Center (preschool).
Southwest is a traditional Baptist church with an eye toward the 21st century.
More information about the ministries of the church may be found on the church website:
Or the church invites you to simply stop by and see what is going on!